Serve on the National Geographic Society Strategic Communications team to execute the social media strategy for the National Geographic Photo Ark program, an ambitious project committed to documenting every species in captivity—inspiring people not just to care, but to help protect these animals for future generations.
This role will serve as a critical component to ensure that Photo Ark program outreach is effective by posting regularly to Photo Ark social properties, coordinating with internal and external partners on posts, and monitoring all associated activity across NGS social platforms. This role will create regular reports using Google Analytics and other social monitoring tools to show campaign progress and success metrics. This position is a temporary contract position for six months to support the many events and priorities planned for the Photo Ark program.
- Content research, development, writing: Support timely engagement efforts by researching and assembling content for promotion to target Photo Ark audiences such as educators and scientific and exploration communities. (20%)
- Editing and social engagement listening: Maintain Photo Ark program voice on Photo Ark social properties with appropriate tone, engagement tactics and key audiences; educators and explorers. Identify and engage with existing and new partners and influencers online and develop relationships. Stay updated with social media practices, culture and emerging trends. (15%)
- Media asset management. Understand and manage NGS photo and video licensing rights, research and acquire media as needed to support social needs. Assure all photos used on social platforms have correct branding and credit. Package assets for key partners. Collaborate with M&E photo editor. (15%)
- Manage program social media editorial and content calendar: Develop content calendar to support planned Photo Ark activities and coordinate with overall Society social media strategy and channels to assure alignment and to maximize reach. (10%)
- Community moderation: Actively engage with and support Photo Ark and conservation community. Stay updated with latest resources and programs and support the writing and gathering of content to support outreach. (10%)
- Partner support: In conjunction with Strategic Communications, collaborate with key Photo Ark partners and constituents, including WGBH, the Dallas Zoo, the Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium, the Cincinnati Zoo, National Geographic talent and associated teams on content and campaign pushes. Package assets and key messaging for partners and ensure alignment on program social calendar. (10%)
- Analytics support. Track and organize weekly reports on engagement metrics. (15%)
- Keep on top of the Society’s overall mission, research, initiatives and media and leverage these as assets in support of the Photo Ark program goals. (5%)
Minimum Education Required
Bachelor's degree preferred.
Minimum Years and Type of Experience
Internship with related experience or 1-2 years of experience in social media management and strategy across Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and other social media platforms. Experience using social media scheduling tools and gathering engagement metrics preferred.
Knowledge and Skills Required Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in team settings across cultures and internally within a diverse and dynamic institution
- Able to manage multiple tasks
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Able to write concisely, clearly, and correctly
Responsibility percentages may vary depending on business needs.
National Geographic's headquarters is located in the heart of Washington, D.C. In addition to a unique and dynamic work environment, National Geographic offers its employees a comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental benefits, generous vacation and leave time, a 401(k) plan, and flexible work options. Please visit our careers site at www.nationalgeographic.com/jobs to view this job as well as our full listing of career opportunities. National Geographic is an Equal Opportunity Employer.