Summary of Internship
The Strategic Communications Intern will learn day-to-day media /public relations and communications skills and will work closely with department staff to help promote National Geographic Society programs and projects.
Principal Learning Responsibilities
- Gain exposure to full strategic communications process, from message development and integration to media outreach. (30%)
- Hone skills in creating and editing communications materials, including pitches, media advisories, fact sheets and targeted social posts. (30%)
- Expand knowledge of media landscape, gain meaningful media research skills and learn to compile media outreach lists from a cloud-based database. (20%)
- Learn about corporate communications and help with event support and executive positioning as needed. (20%)
Related Field of Study Required
Prefer applicants working toward a degree in communications, media/public relations, journalism or related fields.
Knowledge and Skills Required
Candidates must be enthusiastic and detail-oriented and have strong editing and writing skills (knowledge of AP style a plus). He or she must be organized with the ability to multi-task under deadlines. Previous internship experience preferred. Candidate must have knowledge of office technology and Internet-based media tools.
Candidate must be enrolled at an accredited College or University at the time of application.
Internship Program Start and End Dates
- Start Date: Monday, June 5, 2017
- End Date: Friday, August 11, 2017
- Deadline to apply is April 21, 2017
Offers will go out no later than May 12, 2017
Responsibility percentages may vary depending on business needs.
National Geographic's headquarters is located in the heart of Washington, D.C. In addition to a unique and dynamic work environment, National Geographic offers its employees a comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental benefits, generous vacation and leave time, a 401(k) plan, and flexible work options. Please visit our careers site at www.nationalgeographic.com/jobs to view this job as well as our full listing of career opportunities. National Geographic is an Equal Opportunity Employer.