Summary of Internship
National Geographic Society is seeking an Internal Communications Intern to join our Strategic Communications team. This person will be responsible for supporting the development, writing and publishing of content for Nat Geo’s award-winning intranet as well as helping with planning and execution of employee engagement events. This person will also assist the department’s Audience Relations function to address queries from students, educators, explorers, donors and other key constituents. Our ideal candidate is highly motivated, thinks creatively and is a strong writer who works well with others.
Five Principal Learning Responsibilities
- Learn how to develop, write and publish editorial content for Nat Geo’s award-winning intranet. (30%)
- Develop event management skills by assisting with the planning and execution of employee engagement events. (30%)
- Learn about National Geographic’s global reach in science, exploration and storytelling by addressing customer queries submitted by individuals from all over the world, and enhance research and communication strategies by tailoring responses to fit key audiences. (30%)
- Gain a broad understanding of the role Strategic Communications plays at a nonprofit organization by assisting with other Strategic Communications activities as needed. (10%)
Related Field of Study Required
- Pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in communications, journalism, English, public relations or related
- Previous internship experience preferred
Knowledge and Skills Required
- Ability to work well with others and independently as needed
- Strong abilities in reporting, writing, editing – knowledge of AP style preferred
- Event management experience
- Strong project management and prioritization skills
- Positive attitude with proactive approach
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office – particularly with Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Candidate must be enrolled at an accredited College or University at the time of application.
Internship Program Start and End Dates
- Start Date: Monday, June 5, 2017
- End Date: Friday, August 11, 2017
- Deadline to apply is April 21, 2017
Responsibility percentages may vary depending on business needs.
National Geographic's headquarters is located in the heart of Washington, D.C. In addition to a unique and dynamic work environment, National Geographic offers its employees a comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental benefits, generous vacation and leave time, a 401(k) plan, and flexible work options. Please visit our careers site at www.nationalgeographic.com/jobs to view this job as well as our full listing of career opportunities. National Geographic is an Equal Opportunity Employer.