POSITION TITLE: Safety Specialist
REPORTS TO: Safety-Risk Manager
Provide all levels of management with the services and technical advice needed for proper administration of the safety program. Assist in adapting and implementing policies and procedures to insure that company objectives are met.
FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
- Incorporate safety and environmental responsibility into daily action.
- Utilize and improve the Nooter Management System (NMS) for effective and efficient fulfillment of requirements from customers, regulators and NCC values, policies, objectives and targets.
- Incorporate positive interpersonal skills when communicating or interacting with customer, subcontractor, vendor, craft and NCC personnel.
- Employ organizational skills that effectively minimize obstacles that negatively impact the project. When obstacles arise, employ sound decision making/problem solving skills to resolve the issue.
- Insure full compliance with federal, state, local, Nooter and customer regulations.
- Advise all levels of management on matters pertaining to safety within the organization, including but not limited to:
a. Preparing and distributing regular reports on safety status of the company.
b. Assisting management in setting company goals and policies.
c. Determining and developing safety training curriculum to ensure all employees are trained to perform their jobs safely.
d. Providing occupational guidance to facilitate and promote the health and safety of all employees.
e. Coordinating and implementing the company’s wellness initiatives.
f. Developing and updating standard safe operating procedures.
g. Maintaining and managing the company’s substance abuse program.
h. Recommending disciplinary procedures for violations of safety rules and procedures.
- Review specific contract obligations with the estimating group to ensure full compliance with the scope of work.
- Interface with customer’s safety department to coordinate safety and health efforts.
- Direct and assist field safety representatives on jobsites.
- Direct and assist in industrial hygiene monitoring when required.
- Participate as a key member of the regional office Safety Committee.
- Participate as a key member of the regional office ergonomic program.
- Maintain and manage the incident investigation program.
- Conduct audits to observe unsafe conditions or work practices at jobsites, in the office and in the shop areas.
- Administer the safety incentive program for employees.
- Consult with Purchasing and advise on adequacy and suitability of safety equipment.
- Administer eyeglass program for full time employees.
- Maintain external professional contacts and resources.
- Travel outside the local area, by air and car, when required to maintain position’s essential functions.
- Perform additional assignments per the direction of the Safety-Risk Manager.
Physical Activities: Physical activities commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job.
Sit for long periods; view computer monitor for long periods of time; type on a keyboard; verbally communicate; walk, stand, climb, crawl, kneel, lift; drive a vehicle.
Physical Demands: Physical demands commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job.
Reach for, handle and manipulate objects. Use hands and arms to lift and carry objects weighing up to 20 pounds.
Functions 9, 10 and 14 require ascending the construction, entering confined spaces and successfully passing a pulmonary function test to be eligible to wear a respirator.
Climb ladders and stairs of customer facilities.
Visual Acuity: Visual activities commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job.
See well (either naturally or with correction) and focus clearly on objects at varying distances. The ability to distinguish color is required to evaluate color-coded identification systems.
Environmental/Atmospheric Conditions: Environmental and atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job.
Employee is subject to inside and outside conditions, including high and low ambient temperatures.
Employee is subject to hazards of operating at elevated levels.
Employee will occasionally wear a respirator or fall protection harness and lanyard. Employee will occasionally be subject to noise levels above 85 dbl and will be required to wear ear protection.
POSITION QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Bachelor of Science or Master of Science degree in Occupational Safety and Health, Industrial Hygiene, Engineering or Associate Science degree or equivalent combinations of technical training and/or related experience required. Working knowledge of Federal OSHA 1910 and 1926 Standards as well as Worker’s Compensation benefits and ergonomics.
One to three years’ industrial/construction safety background, including supervisory experience and responsibility for safety performance of other safety professionals.
Machines, Tools, Equipment and Work Aids: (Which may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position.)
Knowledge of computer hardware and software, including: Microsoft Office (Windows, Excel, Word, Access and PowerPoint); cost tracking software (McCosker, ViewPoint); internet use and innovation. The ability to learn other software, if required, with company-provided training.
Valid state-issued driver’s license.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws.
Certain job functions described herein may be subject to possible modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.
“Commonly associated” is not intended to mean always or only. There are different experiences that suggest other ways or circumstances where reasonable changes or accommodations are appropriate.
All Activities, Demands, Conditions and Requirements are linked to Essential Job Functions unless marked with an asterisk that denotes linkage only to Marginal Function(s).