Alexion is seeking a highly qualified employment lawyer to advise the Company on a broad array of legal matters facing Alexion's Human Resources Department and other clients primarily in connection with U.S. law, expanding into other geographies as appropriate. The attorney in this position will be responsible for providing practical and sound counsel on issues relating to labor and employment law. The attorney in this position will engage closely with Human Resources and colleagues in the Legal Department to develop, review, interpret and apply Company policies, including the application of new legislation, legal trends and regulations. The successful candidate will have a broad-based knowledge of laws and regulations concerning global labor and employment matters and compliance, and an ability to identify legal issues outside their direct area of responsibility. The role will include extensive client counseling, drafting and reviewing company policies and agreements, responding to employment litigation and conducting audits and investigations. The position offers an exciting opportunity to join an evolving Legal Department supporting a growing global business.
- Advises clients on a wide array of employment law issues, including recruitment and hiring, personnel classification, wage and hour issues, restrictive covenants, leaves of absence and accommodations, compensation and benefits, performance management, disciplinary actions and terminations
- Collaborates with Human Resources and other departments to establish and regularly revise employment-related policies, procedures and handbooks
- Develops subject-matter expertise on company policies and procedures and delivers training for managers and individual contributors on a variety of employment law topics
- Investigates and helps resolve employee relations issues and complaints
- Maintains current substantive knowledge and proactively updates Human Resources and other clients on relevant legislative and regulatory developments and best practices
- Represents Company in governmental and agency inquiries, audits, litigation and alternative dispute proceedings, working closely with outside counsel in coordinating the Company’s position and advising the Company with regard to document retention and electronic discovery obligations
- Collaborate with clients at all levels, across multiple functions and geographies, and at a high level of responsiveness and customer service
- 5-10 years of U.S. based, management-side employment law experience with a reputable law firm and/or in-house legal department; both law firm and in-house preferred
- Admitted to the bar in US (MA and/or CT preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to analyze complex and multijurisdictional legal matters independently and efficiently
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills; ability to synthesize and explain technical subject matter to a variety of audiences at different organizational levels
- Superior organizational skills and ability to manage multiple commitments to prioritize and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional client-service orientation
- Passion and commitment to profession
- Proven record of high integrity and sound legal judgment
- Project management experience a plus
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and collaborative work style
- Ability to prioritize, manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Effective oral and written communication skills; fits message to audience
- Self-directed and highly motivated
- Learning agility
- Attention to detail
- Exceptional problem-solving skills
- Well organized and resourceful
- J.D. or L.L.M. degree from an ABA-accredited law school
Boston, MA, United States
Some opportunities happen only once in a lifetime - like a job where you have the extraordinary opportunity to change lives. At Alexion, such opportunities arise through our unwavering mission to serve patients and families affected by rare diseases. These patients are our guiding star, and we act with integrity, urgency, and discipline because we know their lives are at stake.
Alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on serving patients and families affected by rare diseases through the discovery, development and commercialization of life-changing therapies. As the global leader in complement biology and inhibition for more than 20 years, Alexion has developed and commercializes the first and only approved complement inhibitor to treat patients with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH), atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome (aHUS), and anti-acetylcholine receptor (AchR) antibody-positive generalized myasthenia gravis (gMG). Alexion also has two highly innovative enzyme replacement therapies for patients with life-threatening and ultra-rare metabolic disorders, hypophosphatasia (HPP) and lysosomal acid lipase deficiency (LAL-D). In addition, the company is developing two late-stage therapies, a second complement inhibitor and a copper-binding agent for Wilson disease. Alexion focuses its research efforts on novel molecules and targets in the complement cascade and its development efforts on the core therapeutic areas of hematology, nephrology, neurology, and metabolic disorders. Alexion has been named to the Forbes list of the World's Most Innovative Companies seven years in a row and is headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts' Innovation District. The company also has offices around the globe and serves patients in more than 50 countries.
Alexion's aspiration is to be the most rewarding place to work, where people are empowered to make a difference and where diversity of backgrounds and ideas is encouraged. We are looking for talented individuals who share our passion and commitment to change the lives of patients with rare diseases. We hope you will consider joining our team. Further information about Alexion can be found at: www.alexion.com.
As a leading employer in our industry, Alexion is proud to offer a highly competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance and much more.