At our headquarters office in Phoenix, Avnet - a global technology industry leader and a 2016 FORTUNE “World’s Most Admired Company” - is looking for someone who wants to help our business leaders with crisp and engaging communications. This communications specialist will work directly with executives, leaders and other internal clients to develop and implement strategic communications plans, programs and tactics. Reports to the Director, Executive Communications and is a member of Avnet’s Corporate Marketing & Communications organization. The communications specialist will help take our intranet to the next level in addition to developing consistent messaging that supports Avnet’s brand, advances business strategies and enhances the engagement with employees. Heavy emphasis on employee communications, but multi-media experience plays an important role. Primary responsibility includes creating, writing and editing communications materials.
- Responsible for working with internal and external business partners to develop strategies, standards and access to a suite of collaboration tools, and communication templates.
- Develops and deploys self-service strategies for employees to develop in the intranet environment, specifically SharePoint.
- Writes messages, video scripts, articles and speeches and develops visual material and power point presentations for a variety of audiences such as employees, customers, suppliers, or industry on Avnet business topics or industry issues.
- Owns the technology set-up and execution of town halls, quarterly business reviews and other company-wide meetings and select Avnet employee events.
- Contributes to the execution of Avnet’s largest internal event, Global Leadership Summit
- Collaborates with media relations/PR team on internal communications messaging in support of public speaking engagements and media opportunities.
- Solicits, creates and reviews content for Avnet’s other communication channels such as internal employee newsletters, intranet, etc.
- Determines and uses the most effective communication media to convey corporate messaging and engage target audience. Coordinates with vendors as needed to produce corporate communications as assigned.
- Proactively recommends and develops content for use on social media outlets.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Excellent written communication skills are a must. Candidates must be familiar and comfortable with the standards of excellence required for executive communications. (A writing assignment may be given as part of the interview process)
- Work can be performed without regular tactical direction and requires the use of independent judgment and discretion. Exercises latitude in determining objectives and approaches to assignments.
- Experienced taking a disciplined approach to project planning and working on a process-oriented team focused on performance excellence and organizational effectiveness.
- Extensive knowledge and application of principles, theories and concepts of corporate communications. Complete knowledge of all job functions and broad industry trends, techniques and standards such as AP style.
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Website/wireframe design
- Familiarity with integration of various digital, visual platforms and tools for communications effectiveness
- Typically 6-9 years with bachelor's or equivalent or 4-7 years with master's
Education and Certification(s):
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills.
Avnet is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. This policy of non-discrimination also applies to religious dress and grooming practices. Avnet will accommodate employee religious dress standards and grooming practices that do not result in undue hardship for the Company. If you are interested in applying for employment with Avnet and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position contact our Human Resources Service Center at (888) 994-7669.