This position is responsible for the sales and profitability for the district served in order to achieve overall division and corporate goals. The District Sales Manager will implement plans in the territory, focusing on the various major industries (Oil & Gas, Mining, Infrastructure, Power Generation, and other general industries) which results in the expansion of existing products and customer orders while capturing new customers and new product orders. Responsible for all of the SPX Flow Hydraulic Technologies’ product lines: Stone, Power Team, Bolting Systems, Hytec, and Globe.
If you're a motivated sales professional with proven strong managerial and relationship-building skills, this position offers a compelling mix of challenge and opportunity. Consider the following, you will:
- Develop an approved annual business plan, as part of the business planning cycle with assigned distributors, and track performance.
- Have a good deal of autonomy in managing your multi-state territory (Ohio, Indiana, and Michigan) and also share ideas and insights with a strong, seasoned team. The ideal candidate will be located in Detroit, Toledo, or Cleveland.
- Benefit from the freedom and flexibility to manage your territory and schedule, including traveling, in-house meetings, and other functions.
- Enjoy a competitive base salary, sales incentives, and a comprehensive benefits package.
- Take advantage of the stability and resources of SPX Flow, a $2.5 billion corporation.
- Enjoy strong support from internal resources such as technical sales professionals.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
You will report to your Regional Sales Manager and work closely with the technical support team. You will be responsible for maintaining and expanding influential relationships with channel partners to maximize sales coverage in your given district, and you will also play an integral role in growing SPX FLOW’s revenue and profits by adding value to our customers.
You will implement plans in the territory, focusing on the various major industries (Oil & Gas, Mining, Infrastructure, Power Generation, and other general industries) which results in the expansion of existing products and customer orders while capturing new customers and new product orders. You will be responsible for all of the SPX Flow Hydraulic Technologies’ product lines: Stone, Power Team, Bolting Systems, Hytec, and Globe.
Expect to travel at least half of the time among your assigned states, so planning out travel will be critical to balance sales and support meetings with developing staff. The team you’ll be working with includes seasoned veterans who are successful in their roles but will require occasional coaching and training.
Executing the Role
Your specific activities will fall into four main areas. In the area of External Shareholders, you will:
- Achieve annual and quarterly goals of order and revenue targets through prioritizing selling time to generate sales volume, achieve account penetration and complete territory coverage
- Develop an approved annual Business Plan, as part of the business planning cycle with assigned distributors, and track performance to commitment monthly to drive countermeasures to achieve targets
- Develop account penetration strategies for key target and competitive accounts and communicate current market intelligence back to the business, along with field concerns, issues and requirements
- Disseminate SPXFlow F&B core strategy, distributor goals, and objectives throughout all levels of the Distributor's organization, ensuring all key influencers fully understand and support the strategic direction and goals
- Identify business opportunities for assigned distributors; work with relevant SPXFlow groups to provide required resources to meet such opportunities; set and agree to stretch targets with Distributors that will be monitored monthly
- Drive the progression and close of top opportunities, and monitor the success of new products as well as the overall pipeline’s progress.
- Maintain satisfactory after-sale relationships and development of long-term customer relationships coupled with the ability to identify and capitalize on opportunities that immediately satisfy customer needs
With regard to Internal Shareholders, you will:
- Communicate and facilitate sales responsibilities with Regional and District managers, allowing for effective business solutions to be developed representing mutually successful and profitable results; ensure SPXFlow is positioned as a preferred supplier
- Understand competitive pricing in region and communicate back to Product Management
- Communicate with and monitor the performance of all assigned channel partners; report progress to RSM and others as required
- Continuously communicate with other regional sales leaders to share best practices, and in turn, share with assigned channel partners
- As the primary Sales interface with our customers, become the “Voice of the Customer” and the customer advocate, provide feedback and input from the customer to Product Management and other commercial operations, marketing, and engineering
- Serve as internal channel advocate to ensure partner and customer satisfaction
In the area of Technical Capabilities, you will:
- Schedule, coordinate and conduct channel partner training with emphasis on product quality and features; value-added selling and profitable growth throughout the channel
- Develop and maintain comprehensive technical knowledge of products, applications, features, advantages and benefits.
- Remain current with relevant internal and external training and development
- Exhibit proficiency in Consultative Selling, strive to understand the customers’ needs and motives, and be adept at selling the value proposition of the optimal solutions
- Develop and maintain a high level of product knowledge of SPXFlow F&B and competitive products
- Participate in industry events such as trade shows and seminars
Regarding Compliance / Ethics, you will:
- Manage potential channel conflict, works closely with partners and other DSMs using excellent communication skills both internally and externally and follows channel rules of engagement with the utmost integrity
- Ensure partner compliance with SPXFlow standards and ethics
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of SAP and experience with implementations
- A demonstrated ability to analyze trends, compile data into comprehensive reports, and make recommendations based on findings
- The ability to:
- Present and explain complicated or technical information in a simple way to non-technical audiences, including leadership
- Collaborate with others in a team environment
- Handle multiple demands with a sense of urgency, drive and energy
- Travel up to 50-60% of the time, including internationally
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and comfort interacting with employees ranging from entry-level to senior leaders
- High energy and motivation to tackle various tasks on any given day
- Dedication to customer service and willingness to take calls or communicate outside of regular business hours
- An adaptable mindset to handle curveballs and accommodate change
- The attitude to continue learning and growing as you help the company expand its reach
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 5-7 years related Industrial or OEM sales experience and/or training, or an equivalent combination of education and experience working in a high-level sales management position
- Be comfortable training distributors, customers, and other staff with equipment
- Have a knack for driving sales, including the aptitude to generate a solid sales plan and the acumen to handle the process from start to finish
- Possess critical thinking skills to forecast sales, identify prospects, and analyze reports
- Demonstrate aptitude with using and configuring our mechanical products
- Exhibit strong basic math skills to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume
- A bachelor's degree is preferred, ideally in a technical field
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
SPX FLOW VALUES
SPX Flow employees are expected to behave in accordance with our company values:
- Think all customer, all the time.
- Embrace teamwork with no borders.
- Be obsessed with being the best.
- Own your actions.
- Ask the hard question.
- Do the right thing, always!
- Appreciate the moment.
Quality encompasses all aspects of SPX’s business, and every employee shares the responsibility to prevent the occurrence of any nonconformity relating to product, process and the quality system. All employees have an obligation to identify and record any such nonconformity, and through designed channels, initiate and recommend solutions.
SPX Flow is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other reason prohibited by law.