Based in Charlotte, North Carolina, SPX FLOW is a global multi-industry manufacturing leader with approximately $2 billion in annual revenue, operations in more than 30 countries and over 6,000 employees The company’s highly-specialized, engineered products and innovative technologies are helping to meet rising global demand for electricity and processed foods and beverages, particularly in emerging markets.
If you combine your purchasing/sourcing experience with an analytical mindset and the ability to partner effectively with multiple stakeholders, this role offers you multiple opportunities:
- You will expand your sourcing and purchasing skills and experience in a broad role, and be able to make an impact on cost, quality and efficiency.
- You'll gain broad exposure to multiple areas of our organization, and also sharpen your vendor-facing skills.
- We promote an employee-friendly culture, including recognizing top performers.
- You will support top industry brands, such as ClydeUnion Pumps, within a growing global corporation.
- Success in this position could set you up to advance within our organization, and we are committed to hiring from within whenever possible.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
You will analyze and process purchase requisitions for a wide variety of products to various vendors consistent with established SPX procedures and practices. This will include seeking out proper sources of supply for the most economical purchases, arranging and considering competitive quotes. You'll also negotiate prices, deliveries, and purchases.
More specifically, you will:
- Review requisitions. Confers with vendors to obtain product or service information such as price, availability, and delivery schedule.
- Select products for purchase by testing, observing, or examining items. Estimate values according to knowledge of market price.
- Determine method of procurement such as direct purchase or bid.
- Prepare purchase orders or bid requests.
- Review bid proposals and negotiate contracts within budgetary limitations and scope of authority.
- Maintain procurement records such as items or services purchased: costs, delivery, product quality or performance, and inventories.
- Discuss defective or unacceptable goods or services with inspection or quality control personnel, users, vendors, and others to determine source of trouble and take corrective action.
- Process and monitor returned goods to vendors.
- Expedite delivery of goods to users.
- Interpret purchase requisitions and submit P.O. to vendors who can give quality, price and delivery required. Negotiate price reductions.
- Search for new vendors who can meet SPX FLOW requirements and meet price, quality, quantity, and delivery performance.
- Expedite, monitor and evaluate vendors.
- Visit vendors’ facilities when necessary and insure they meet our standards and procedures.
- Secure quotations for various SPX FLOW Departments.
- Handle requests and maintain liaison with vendors and all SPX FLOW Departments involving different types of correspondence.
- Verify orders are processed properly and determine dependability of supplier.
- Maintain all records of purchases, prices, and deliveries.
- Advise management on current trends in prices and material availability.
- Assist Purchasing team with decisions about lead times, delivery schedule, and workloads.
- Perform other similar or related duties as assigned or directed.
You'll need to be willing and able to travel up to 25% of the time. This is not an 8 to 5 job, and we'll look to you to flexible about working extra hours.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- The ability to read drawings and work with outside machine shops to support growing demand.
- High-level negotiation skills and competency at leading a negotiation.
- The ability to work with all levels of employees.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- The ability to extract data from ERP system and evaluate it using spreadsheet programs.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Engineering or Materials Management or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2 to 5 years of relevant experience (purchasing and sourcing) in a manufacturing setting, preferably in the Purchasing Department.
- In-depth materials management expertise and a proven track record of achieving high service levels while reducing inventory and cost.
- Experience scheduling in collaboration with a production team.
- Warehouse experience and the ability to lead and support.
- Familiarity with QuickBooks.
- knowledge of supply chain management.
- Working knowledge of inventory, planning systems, distribution and logistics and order/purchasing systems.
- Experience managing vendor relationships.
- Working knowledge of MS Excel.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
SPX FLOW VALUES
SPX Flow employees are expected to behave in accordance with our company values:
- Think all customer, all the time.
- Embrace teamwork with no borders.
- Be obsessed with being the best.
- Own your actions.
- Ask the hard question.
- Do the right thing, always!
- Appreciate the moment.
Quality encompasses all aspects of SPX’s business, and every employee shares the responsibility to prevent the occurrence of any nonconformity relating to product, process and the quality system. All employees have an obligation to identify and record any such nonconformity, and through designed channels, initiate and recommend solutions.
ABOUT SPX FLOW
Based in Charlotte, North Carolina, SPX Flow, Inc. (NYSE: FLOW) innovates with customers to help feed and enhance the world by designing, delivering and servicing high-value solutions at the heart of growing and sustaining our diverse communities. The company's product offering is concentrated in rotating, actuating and hydraulic technologies, as well as automated process systems, into food and beverage, industrial and power and energy markets. SPX FLOW has approximately $2 billion in annual revenues with operations in more than 30 countries and sales in more than 150 countries.