If you’re a skilled millwright with knowledge of rotating equipment, ideally pumps, and welding or machining experience, the role of Heavy Assembly / Millwright could be your ideal opportunity. You will be responsible for performing various standard and engineered pump repairs and modifications to industrial pumps and pump systems, both in the service center and in the field. Consider a few advantages of joining our team. You will:
- Enjoy diverse projects such as working independently on the largest pumps with complex packing. No two days will be exactly the same and time moves quickly.
- Add to your experience as you work on a variety of aftermarket equipment.
- Showcase your potential to take on additional responsibilities or pursue advancement opportunities in the Service Center or throughout our global organization. In fact, this role is open due to promotion.
- At SPX Flow, we offer a welcoming atmosphere and opportunities to learn and expand your skills, along with a competitive wage and excellent benefits. We value and appreciate our employees and applaud their contributions.
You will work in our Service Center in Calgary, Alberta from 7 am to 3:30 pm, Monday – Friday.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the Service Center Manager / Shop Superintendent, as Heavy Assembly / Millwright, you will fit and assemble components for relatively large or heavy subassemblies by following assembly blueprints, manuals, engineering memos, sketches, etc. You will use your knowledge of machine construction to construct, rebuild, and repair machines and equipment. Specifically, you will:
- Disassemble, diagnose, inspect, measure, and assemble pumps and other rotating equipment.
- Effectively measure required tolerances with calipers, micrometer, laser etc.
- Read and understand Engineering drawings and Bills of Material.
- Perform routine preventive maintenance on equipment per manufacturer.
- Be responsible for the safety, organization, upkeep and cleanliness of the assigned equipment and surrounding area.
- Perform onsite service calls as required for customers.
- Meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Participate in continuous improvement initiatives and be instrumental in applying new ideas.
- Assist in the preparation of documentation, customer quotations and/or training materials, as assigned or required.
- Provide training and share knowledge with other employees, as needed and required.
- Work in a safe manner.
- Adhere to quality and productivity standards established by the company.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of rotating equipment, including API pump experience.
- Experience in a rotating equipment technical services position is a strong advantage.
- Excellent math skills and in-depth knowledge of Engineering drawings (ability to read and interpret), machine tools, workshop practices and measurement tools; knowledge of torqueing equipment, trimming tools, metro meters and scales.
- Experience using an overhead crane; material handling; forklift certification preferred.
- Ability to understand and handle challenges related to highly-engineered, custom-built products.
- Ability to work in fast-paced, multi set-up environment.
- Strong troubleshooting and analytical thinking skills.
- Punctual, well disciplined and organized.
- Good interpersonal skills and safety conscious.
- Ability to travel up to 20% to provide customer field support.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma.
- Recognized apprenticeship in the millwright trade / certified millwright.
- Fully certified Red Seal or Mechanical Engineering degree or Technologist diploma.
- Welding MiG/Tig and/or Machining experience required.
- 5-7 years of millwright / pump experience.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Capable of lifting up to 50 pounds, normal manufacturing plant demands
- Capable to lift and bend from a kneeling or elevated position; move in multiple directions
- Finger and hand dexterity
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The environment is fast-paced with pumps ranging from 5 gallons per minute to 24 gallons per minute. The plant can be very loud or very quiet.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
SPX FLOW VALUES
SPX Flow employees are expected to behave in accordance with our company values:
- Think all customer, all the time
- Embrace teamwork with no borders
- Be obsessed with being the best
- Own your actions
- Ask the hard questions
- Do the right thing, always!
- Appreciate the moment
Quality encompasses all aspects of SPX’s business, and every employee shares the responsibility to prevent the occurrence of any nonconformity relating to product, process and the quality system. All employees have an obligation to identify and record any such nonconformity, and through designed channels, initiate and recommend solutions.