If you combine outstanding industrial equipment manufacturing project management skills and experience working in an R&D and/or new product development environment, the role of New Product Development Project Manager offers some compelling opportunities. You will:
- Spotlight your talent and potential as you make your mark in a new role.
- Enjoy a good deal of autonomy in driving projects forward, along with strong support when needed.
- Work in a welcoming atmosphere with talented peers and ample opportunities to learn and expand your skills.
- Enjoy a competitive salary, bonus opportunity and excellent benefits.
- Join a company that values and appreciates employees and applauds their contributions.
- Success in this role could set you up to take on additional responsibilities and/or pursue advancement opportunities in our global organization.
You will work Monday through Friday business hours but should have the flexibility to work extended hours as needed to meet demands. You’ll also be expected to travel approximately 25%, though initially, you could travel 50%-70%. Travel will be domestic at first, but we anticipate the role will eventually become global. Relocation assistance could be available for the ideal candidate.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the Global New Product Development (NPD) Director, as NPD Project Manager, you will be responsible for the successful execution of a variety of new product and research and development initiatives, including a wide range of technologies, markets and product types. For each project to which you’re assigned, you will provide leadership, including managing the program schedule and funding to ensure the timely completion of deliverables consistent with the product strategy, specifications, quality, safety, and performance, and the NPD process. Throughout your work, you will also focus on sustained and long-term continuous improvement to consistently produce improved results while achieving high performance standards.
You will ensure that products are developed that meet or exceed the requirements of the product definition and are delivered on time and cost by:
- Establishing project objectives and comprehensive project schedules, within the boundaries of the NPD process and product specification.
- Ensuring that project expectations and the product specification are clearly defined prior to kick-off, by working closely with the Product Manager.
- Ensuring cross-functional participation throughout the project lifecycle driving concurrent activities to shorten project duration where feasible.
- Defining program Stage-Gate deliverables, funding, and resource loading.
- Managing execution per the program schedule by leading the project core team and facilitating the communication / interaction amongst the functional representatives.
- Tracking program against its schedule, budget and against review objectives to ensure the project is completed on schedule and within budget, reporting status to the Global NPD Director on a regular basis and executive staff on an as needed basis.
- Leading project team meetings and stage-gate reviews, including documentation preparation and ensuring actions are recorded and assigned.
- Developing and implementing corrective measures for off-schedule and unanticipated eventualities, including identifying instances where projects need to pivot.
- Ensuring Value Engineering and Design for Manufacturing principles are appropriately applied during the course of projects.
- Developing and maintaining a good working relationship with others, both within and outside the organization, including but not limited to the End Market Engineering, Product Management, Operational and Commercial teams.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of R&D and product development processes.
- Knowledge of technical and administrative aspects of all phases of project management and NPD processes.
- Proven ability to manage complex projects using project management disciplines.
- Ability to quickly acquire a basic understanding of unfamiliar technologies, markets and product types.
- Demonstrated ability to understand & interpret product strategies.
- Knowledge of a broad range of manufacturing techniques including casting, machining, and sheet-metal manufacturing processes.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite applications (e.g. Word, Excel, Project, PowerPoint and Outlook); MS Project or similar.
- Able to develop graphs, tables, pivot tables, schedules and other reports using Word, Excel, Project and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of product design techniques and methodologies including Value Engineering.
- General knowledge of operations, including scheduling, procurement, manufacturing, test engineering, quality systems, and SAP or other business software.
- General knowledge of marketing, including market research, market sizing, pricing, marketing communications, and product launch.
You will also need:
- Outstanding learning acumen
- Excellent organization skills, including following up on your own action items and those of assigned program team members.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
- Sound business acumen.
- Demonstrated teamwork and leadership abilities, as well as persistence when dealing with problems.
- Ability to effectively communicate with internal and external customers, at all levels in the organization.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a relevant technical discipline.
- 8+ years of relevant industrial experience in a technical role.
- 5+ years of experience in a R&D or NPD environment.
- 5+ years of project and or people management experience.
- Proven experience in the delivery of complex projects.
- Proven experience with industrial products.
Preferred but not requires:
- Relevant master’s degree.
- PE/Chartered status.
- Experience with rotating equipment.
- Project or program management certification.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
SPX FLOW VALUES
SPX Flow employees are expected to behave in accordance with our company values:
- Think all customer, all the time
- Embrace teamwork with no borders
- Be obsessed with being the best
- Own your actions
- Ask the hard questions
- Do the right thing, always!
- Appreciate the moment
Quality encompasses all aspects of SPX’s business, and every employee shares the responsibility to prevent the occurrence of any nonconformity relating to product, process and the quality system. All employees have an obligation to identify and record any such nonconformity, and through designed channels, initiate and recommend solutions.