If you are a seasoned procurement professional with the ability to hit the ground running and start contributing to the team in short order, this position offers several compelling opportunities. You will:
- Make an impact as you help shape a relatively young purchasing function, including mentoring less experienced buyers. Of course, you also can make your mark driving improvements in cost, quality and efficiency.
- Expand your skills and experience in a broad role that includes leading purchasing for raw materials and machining, developing supplier relationships, promoting collaboration with Production, and more.
- Showcase your potential to pursue advancement along multiple career paths in our global organization; we are committed to hiring from within whenever possible.
- You'll support the production of specialty equipment used in a variety of industries, including food & beverage, oil & gas, transportation, power generation & distribution, manufacturing and others.
- Enjoy team-oriented culture in which employees are valued and success is recognized.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
If you are the person we're looking for, you have the professional maturity to start cutting purchase orders on day one, even as you are learning the ins and outs of our organization. You will place purchase orders for materials, supplies, units, finished components, tool services, etc., in the proper quantity and standards of quality to conform with approved requisitions. In addition, you will leverage your experience to assess our current procurement processes, share recommendations for "maturing" them, and help implement changes.
More specifically, you will:
- Obtain materials from suppliers at the lowest cost consistent with considerations of quality, reliability of source and urgency of need.
- Select competent suppliers and develop alternate sources of supply, subject to travel for the purpose of vendor evaluation or selection.
- Follow up purchases as necessary through correspondence or telephone to expedite order, change amounts, material, specifications, etc.
- Review and check material requisitions, purchase orders, vendor invoices, receiving slips, etc.
- Assign work, assist and instruct clerical employees engaged in preparing purchase orders, checking invoices, filing and maintaining records and files. Prepare reports as necessary.
- Negotiate with vendors.
- Compare purchase order acknowledgments from vendors with purchase orders entered into the computer system to discover and correct discrepancies in pricing and delivery dates.
- Obtain proof of delivery from vendors and check inventory for missing items to assist in resolving accounts payable problems.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- A demonstrated ability to develop strategic relationships with suppliers.
- Expert-level familiarity with ERP systems, ideally including SAP.
- Excel skills, including pivot tables and VLOOKUPs.
- The ability to read and interpret blueprints.
- A team player approach.
You also will need to be willing and able to travel to assess supplier capacity, although we don't expect you will travel more than 10% of the time.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 5 to 8 years of experience as a Buyer or similar role in industrial, heavy manufacturing and/or oil & gas environments, including purchasing for:
- Casting and / or mechanical production.
- Raw materials, ideally metals in plate, bar or sheet form.
- Fabrication and machine parts.
- Experience in a mature purchasing/sourcing function, and the ability to apply expertise in these areas.
- Bachelor degree or equivalency.
- CPIM or CSCP is preferred
- SAP experience a must