If you are an Electrical, Mechanical or Controls Engineer who combines testing experience with strong interpersonal and leadership skills, the role R&D Lab Supervisor with SPX FLOW could be your perfect fit. Consider:
- You will expand your technical and leadership skills and experience in this hands-on position.
- You will enjoy visibility inside and outside the lab as you work with multiple stakeholders.
- This is a diverse role supporting processes, testing and new product development.
- Our environment is positive and you'll work with great people -- just a couple of reasons why people love it here and tend to stay.
- As a global industry leader, SPX Flow is expanding, and that will create career growth opportunities for strong performers.
- We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits, including insurances, retirement planning, PTO, tuition reimbursement and more. Benefits begin day one!
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, as R&D Lab Supervisor, you will plan and direct the activities of the chemical processing laboratory used to evaluate equipment, customer processes and products by performing duties directly and through one direct report.
Specifically, you will:
- Plan, coordinate, and direct programs for research, product development, improvement and evaluation of manufacturing processes.
- Direct programs for analysis and testing of customer products to verify the composition of products and the reaction of those products to varied processing methods.
- Coordinate research and analysis activities according to company derived processes to evaluate equipment and manufacturing processes, or other considerations, and approve the modification of formulas, standards, specifications, and processes.
- Review research, testing, quality control, and other operational reports to ensure that quality standards, efficiency, and schedules are met.
- Interpret results of laboratory activities to laboratory personnel, management, and customers.
- Advise management, technical personnel, and representatives of other organizations of the results of activities.
- Prepare reports and technical papers.
- Advise and assist in obtaining patents for products, processes, or equipment.
- Maintain Data Acquisition systems that are based on National Instruments Hardware with programs written in LabVIEW; create new and add capabilities to existing Data Acquisition systems as needed.
- Support and select instrumentation used in the lab.
- Design and build support electrical systems for lab testing; design and build other test fixtures and apparatus as needed for tests.
- Understand and make recommendations in the Electrical power distribution and needs in the lab.
- Design custom equipment for electrical testing needs for our assembly lines.
- Consult Sales during the quoting process on electrical requirements for efficient implementation and code compliance of our equipment into the customer’s systems; provide support to Sales, Customer Service and customers on electrical aspects of our products.
Your supervisory responsibilities will include:
- Carrying out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the SPX FLOW's policies and applicable laws.
- Interviewing, hiring, and training employees.
- Planning, assigning and directing work.
- Appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- The ability to:
- Set up and troubleshoot plant PLCs, HMIs, and automated systems
- Execute equipment calibration, programming installation and updates, and machine setup
- Test fixtures design and implementation as necessary
- Must have experience in National Instruments with the ability to create executable files from LabVIEW
- Ability and experience in AutoCAD and AutoCAD Electrical; this role is hands-on
- Excellent product data documentation skills
- Strong interpersonal communications skills and the ability to work and interact successfully with internal and external groups
- Strong computer skills, including MS Office applications
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Understanding of the Lean manufacturing culture and safety desired
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Controls Engineering
- 3-5+ years of experience in a production facility environment including experience managing a lab schedule and testing
- Experience with NEC, UL, CSA, ATEX, NEMA, IEC; certification(s) is an advantage
- Experience with LabView and the ability to write, program and debug
- Experience with VFDs, PLCs, and 3-phase motors
- Knowledge and experience with power, controls, and instrumentation
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and fumes or airborne particles. The employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals and small risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
The use of safety shoes and safety glasses is mandatory for many tasks. Occasional additional protective clothing must be worn to avoid chemical exposure (face mask, gloves, laboratory suit).
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
SPX FLOW VALUES
SPX Flow employees are expected to behave in accordance with our company values:
- Think all customer, all the time.
- Embrace teamwork with no borders.
- Be obsessed with being the best.
- Own your actions.
- Ask the hard question.
- Do the right thing, always!
- Appreciate the moment.
Quality encompasses all aspects of SPX’s business, and every employee shares the responsibility to prevent the occurrence of any nonconformity relating to product, process and the quality system. All employees have an obligation to identify and record any such nonconformity, and through designed channels, initiate and recommend solutions.