If you combine knowledge of industrial mixer mechanical design and mixing process with excellent interpersonal and communication skills, the role of Application Engineer II with SPX Flow could be your ideal opportunity. In this role, you will serve as a technical expert assigned to specific markets and focused on mixing process and design to support our LIGHTNIN brand. You will work closely Sales and other internal stakeholders, providing quotation and technical support, and with clients, delivering application expertise to help generate sales. Consider a few advantages of joining our team. You will:
- Make a significant impact from presentation support to Q&A to bid/quote preparation and more by serving as a technical subject-matter-expert and internal and external liaison.
- Enjoy wide visibility as you work with stakeholders across a variety of departments and directly with customers.
- Support an industry-leading brand, LIGHTNIN, at a premier, global company.
- Work in a friendly and welcoming atmosphere where you’ll enjoy opportunities to learn and expand your skills along with a competitive salary, bonus opportunity and excellent benefits.
Additionally, at SPX Flow, we value and appreciate our employees and applaud their contributions. Success in this role could set you up to take on additional responsibilities and/or pursue advancement opportunities in our global organization.
This role requires up to 25% travel depending on the time of year and level of projects to which you are assigned. You will primarily support the Americas, but could also travel to Canada for up to a week at a time. Flexibility is essential.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
As Application Engineer II, you will provide expert application and quotation support to sales representatives to improve mixer sales. Your support will include reviewing detailed customer specifications, defining a mixer process solution to fit the customer’s requirements, assisting in the mechanical design aspects of mixers and developing pricing strategies with regional sales management. More specifically, you will:
- Provide direct technical support of applications with customers in support of sales. This can include verbal support (telephone), written support (email and other documentation), e-Sales (web-based technical and sales tools) and/or onsite support through presentations and process plant audits.
- Provide general mixing solutions for a variety of industries.
- Assist the sales process with training and technical application support offsite through representatives and via customer visits.
- Develop technical materials and presentations in support of projects and markets.
- Maintain quotation logs, schedules and performance measures using assigned tools.
- Participate in reconciliation for assigned quotes and orders to resolve any discrepancies between what was quoted and what was ordered.
- Conduct lab tests to develop custom mixing solutions for specific customer requirements. This includes establishing a testing strategy with Sales and Research and implementing this through hands-on testing in the Process Technology Lab. You will be the prime internal contact for overseeing witness tests.
- Develop and maintain product knowledge.
- Participate in overall office teamwork and recommend process and functional improvements.
- Interact with Sales, Engineering and Research within LIGHTNIN.
- Engage in constructive conflict resolution.
- Attend trade shows as requested by Sales.
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Understanding of engineering principles related to mixing process and mixer mechanical design.
- Ability to read, interpret and accurately respond to technical specifications related to mixer applications and mixer design.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from internal personnel, sales representatives, and customers.
- Willingness to take ownership of and accountability for assignments.
- Solid ability to learn mixing products capabilities and limitations.
- Strong computer skills.
- Knowledge of industry engineering standards and mixer capabilities is preferred.
- Knowledge of eSales (automated technical and sales tool) is preferred.
In addition, you will need the following core competencies and characteristics:
- An assertive, outgoing personality with a strong business and customer focus.
- The drive and desire to follow projects and capture orders.
- Ability to effectively interact with multiple stakeholders and departments within LIGHTNIN, including Sales, Engineering and Research.
- Good verbal and written communications skills; ability to provide succinct and accurate technical and business communications.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving ability.
- A team player that uses his/her skills to make the team better.
- Strong organization and time management skills with the ability to multitask.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering from four-year College or University is preferred; a Mechanical Engineering degree will also be considered.
- Experience and success in a technical, customer-facing role
- Manufacturing, production and/or lab experience required.
- Sales application-related experience and training is an advantage.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
SPX FLOW VALUES
SPX Flow employees are expected to behave in accordance with our company values:
- Think all customer, all the time
- Embrace teamwork with no borders
- Be obsessed with being the best
- Own your actions
- Ask the hard questions
- Do the right thing, always!
- Appreciate the moment
Quality encompasses all aspects of SPX’s business, and every employee shares the responsibility to prevent the occurrence of any nonconformity relating to product, process and the quality system. All employees have an obligation to identify and record any such nonconformity, and through designed channels, initiate and recommend solutions.