Corporate Title: Finance Trainee
Department: Finance (Accounts Payable & Revenue)
Reporting Line: Senior Revenue Accountant and Accounts Payable Supervisor
Revised Date: May 2019
Janus Henderson Investors is a leading independent global asset manager, dedicated to delivering the best outcomes for clients through a highly diversified range of actively-managed products.
We support our individual and institutional investors across a range of products, encompassing equities, fixed income, multi-asset and alternatives.
We are a team of independent and creative thinkers who work tirelessly to help our clients achieve their goals – and we do it by supporting a high-energy and collaborative culture that ensures our people love the place they work.
Janus Henderson is a truly global manager with US$357.3bn1 of assets under management. We have a diverse geographic footprint, employing over 2,000 staff in 27 office locations globally. Headquartered in London, we are dual-listed on the New York Stock Exchange and the Australian Securities Exchange.
1Janus Henderson pro-forma AUM as at 31 March 2019
Janus Henderson Finance is a core part of the Janus Henderson business, operating across business lines to partner them to maximize stakeholder returns. The department has approximately 60 members with a wide range of experience, servicing not only the UK, but also Europe, Asia Pacific, and the US. It is a vibrant place to work, with excellent opportunities for those who wish to progress.
What you will learn
Your will work within both the Revenue team and the Accounts Payable (AP) Teams. Both of these team are within the wide Finance department.
Within the Accounts Payable team you will learn new systems and how to process invoices in different entities and currencies in a timely and accurate manner. You will be expected to communicate with vendors and others in the business in a professional manner.
Within the Revenue team you will learn Gross Management fee, commission and performance fee accruals for certain products. You will learn how to review and prepare fee billing for certain products and clients, as well as perform statutory, regulatory & management reporting for allocated trading entities.
What you will be doing in more detail
Accounts Payable work:
- Processing invoice in Basware
- Emails & Telephone queries
- AP Stats in Excel
- Carry out additional duties as assigned
- Monthly review of the central management fees table
- Reviewing Revenue Accrual Calculation Engine outputs that are used in posting management fee accruals
- Posting of other income accruals
- Providing variance analysis and commentary on month on month revenue variances
- Verification of revenue by all associated attributes e.g. class, cost centre, GL account etc
- Involved in the budgeting process for revenue
- Posting monthly performance fee accruals
- Involvement in quarterly performance fee bonus run
Accrued Income and Billing
- Raising of monthly and quarterly invoices for certain products and clients
- Reviewing the monthly true-up process for invoicing vs accruals
- Review and sign off of certain invoices produced by colleagues
Institutional Fees Billing
- Develop good working relationship with the Institutional Client Account Managers (CAMs)
- Ensure SLA between CAM’s and Finance is adhered to
- Work with CAMs to ensure Client Master checklist is up to date and complete
- Ensure measures are in place to capture any new fee models or agreements so they can be integrated into the billing process
- Generate models for complex fee structures as they arise and communicate any issues proposed schemes create
- Ensure balance sheet reconciliations are completed each month for appropriate legal entities
- Help with regulatory returns for FCA registered legal entities
- Produce statutory accounts at year end for legal entities
What we are looking for
- Analytical candidates who enjoy working with numbers
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office - in particular Excel
- Accuracy, diligence and attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Team working skills
- A problem solver
- Experience working to deadlines and ability to work well under pressure
- Ability to adapt quickly in a rapidly changing environment
At a minimum the role will require you to:
- Place the interest of Janus Henderson’s Clients first and always act in accordance with TCF (Treating Customers Fairly) principles
- Understand and follow laws and regulations applicable for your role, seeking the help of your supervising manager or Compliance if you would like further explanation or direction regarding this
- Understand and abide by all Janus Henderson policies applicable to your role, and ask for the support/guidance of the policy owner if you are unsure at any time
- You are ultimately accountable for your actions and responsible for seeking further information on any or all of the above as necessary.
We are an equal opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Janus Henderson Investors (including its subsidiaries) will not maintain existing or sponsor new industry registrations or licenses where not supported by an employee’s job functions (as determined by Janus Henderson Investors at its sole discretion).
All applicants must be willing to comply with the provisions of Janus Henderson Investors' Investment Advisory Code of Ethics related to personal securities activities and other disclosure and certification requirements, including past political contributions and political activities. Applicants’ past political contributions or activity may impact applicants’ eligibility for this position. Janus Henderson Investors is an equal opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. All applications are subject to background checks.