Corporate Title: Technology Trainee
Department: Global Technology
Reporting Line: Global Head of Application Support
Revised Date: May 2019
Janus Henderson Investors is a leading independent global asset manager, dedicated to delivering the best outcomes for clients through a highly diversified range of actively-managed products.
We support our individual and institutional investors across a range of products, encompassing equities, fixed income, multi-asset and alternatives.
We are a team of independent and creative thinkers who work tirelessly to help our clients achieve their goals – and we do it by supporting a high-energy and collaborative culture that ensures our people love the place they work.
Janus Henderson is a truly global manager with US$357.3bn1 of assets under management. We have a diverse geographic footprint, employing over 2,000 staff in 27 office locations globally. Headquartered in London, we are dual-listed on the New York Stock Exchange and the Australian Securities Exchange.
1Janus Henderson pro-forma AUM as at 31 March 2019
The IT Change department has around 100 employees, managing numerous change roadmaps across all areas of the firm, including vendor implementations, regulatory change, in-house development, as well as overseeing change delivery from third party suppliers.
Application Support is responsible for the production management for Janus Henderson business specific applications, which underpin the investment process. The aim of the team is to ensure a reliable and stable environment across the tools, which run our business. The customer base is predominately made up of Analysts, Portfolio Management teams and Traders across the firm, along with associate functions, such as Compliance and Investment Operations.
What you will learn
This role provides an opportunity to join an established support team and learn a broad range of technology skills. The role will also provide you with exposure to Investment Management and Financial markets in general.
What you will be doing in more detail
Day to day the role will be a mixture of pro-active monitoring of key processes, along with support assignment tasks. These tasks are assigned to individual team members either from a central helpdesk application, face to face contact or via the telephone. Teams members are expected to engage with end users at all levels throughout the process, clarifying requirements, identify issues, provide updates or assist with training. The role requires the ability to manage end user expectations while at the same time ensuring that IT standards are met.
Key elements to this role include:
- Ensure applications are available to business users at the right time with the right data
- Manage the resolution of issues resulting from application checks, including communication to the business
- Ensure support calls raised by users are resolved effectively.
- Regular communication to end user on your progress
- Collaborative approach with other IT teams to resolve issues quickly
- Pro-active, cogent approach to change management and the enhancement lifecycle
Maintaining a High Quality Service
- Ability to follow procedures and standards of the team
- Build and maintain support documentation for applications and processes
- Active participation in team meetings and discussions to drive quality in everything we do.
- Take an active role in the provision of Application testing as part of Business Continuity.
- Provide a QA resource when required for various project and infrastructure team
As this role is within a support team, it is important to note that there will be an element of shift work associated with this role. Hours of operation are geared towards the main markets being traded in each region, in this case between the hours of 07:00 Hrs. to 18:00 Hrs. local, covered by a shift system.
What we are looking for
- Someone with the desire to learn a broad range of skills across Technology and Investment Management
- Questioning and analytical ability, able to form conclusions
- Initiative, willingness to seek and achieve improvements to processes and technology
- Ability to work as part of a global support team, engage and contributes to team objectives at multiple levels
- Strong communicator. Able to provide updates to customers or IT Management that are clear, precise and understandable
- Good time management/work planning – manages personal workload effectively, sets realistic and achievable targets
- Sound problem solving skills
- Desire to follow best practice and development standards as agreed within IT
- Skills within Excel spreadsheets
- Ideally some experience in SQL query language and Access databases – not essential as training will be provided.
At a minimum the role will require you to:
- Place the interest of Janus Henderson’s Clients first and always act in accordance with TCF (Treating Customers Fairly) principles
- Understand and follow laws and regulations applicable for your role, seeking the help of your supervising manager or Compliance if you would like further explanation or direction regarding this
- Understand and abide by all Janus Henderson policies applicable to your role, and ask for the support/guidance of the policy owner if you are unsure at any time
- You are ultimately accountable for your actions and responsible for seeking further information on any or all of the above as necessary.
We are an equal opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Janus Henderson Investors (including its subsidiaries) will not maintain existing or sponsor new industry registrations or licenses where not supported by an employee’s job functions (as determined by Janus Henderson Investors at its sole discretion).
All applicants must be willing to comply with the provisions of Janus Henderson Investors' Investment Advisory Code of Ethics related to personal securities activities and other disclosure and certification requirements, including past political contributions and political activities. Applicants’ past political contributions or activity may impact applicants’ eligibility for this position. Janus Henderson Investors is an equal opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. All applications are subject to background checks.