Buckman is a privately held, global specialty chemical company with headquarters in Memphis, TN, USA, committed to safeguarding the environment, maintaining safety in the workplace, and promoting sustainable development. Buckman works proactively and collaboratively with its worldwide customers in pulp and paper, leather, and water treatment to deliver exceptional service and innovative specialty chemical solutions to help boost productivity, reduce risk, improve product quality, and provide a measurable return on investment.
The Sr. Synthesis Research Chemist will contribute to Buckman’s Research and Development efforts by utilizing polymer and/or discrete molecule synthesis techniques to develop new and innovative chemistries to differentiate Buckman’s product line in key strategic markets. The candidate will be expected to utilize traditional benchtop and modern synthesis techniques and chemical instrumentation to develop, optimize and characterize target polymers and molecules. The position will also be responsible for supporting process engineers for product scale-up and manufacturing, as well as support existing products.
•Well versed in organic synthesis with an interest and demonstrated ability in benchtop synthesis, reaction optimization, purification and characterization
- An understanding of structure / activity relationships is desired with a proven track record of independent innovative problem solving and creative molecular modeling and design
- Ability to independently carry out multiple step reaction chemistries in small to moderate quantities and assist in scale-up (pilot) and commercialization efforts
- A thorough understanding of scientific methodology and design of experiments is required
- Work closely with R&D and sales and marketing within Buckman to support market growth by providing new, high performing chemistries
- Must have good communication skills, both written and verbal, and have the ability to work independently and on multidisciplinary teams.
- Strong understanding of polymer synthesis with some discrete molecule synthesis experience
- Demonstrated experience in synthesizing and developing new chemistries / products for coating, adhesive, surfactant applications or other relevant markets
- Experience with analytical instrumentation and methodology (NMR, IR, GPC, GC-MS, LC-MS,)
- Experience in designing synthesis schemes and carrying out benchtop reactions to create target polymers with defined performance properties
- Understanding of global regulatory requirements for new product commercialization, e.g. FDA, REACH, BfR, etc.
- Knowledge and exposure to scale-up / pilot plant procedures
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and present results, new ideas and project plans to team members, project sponsors, customers, and/or key stakeholders
Minimum Ph.D. in Chemistry (Organic, Inorganic, Physical Organic minimum requirement) with 5 to 10 years of experience in new product development and commercialization.