LP Building Products is a leading global manufacturer of engineered wood products. At LP, creating new solutions for building is who we are. Since we pioneered our first engineered wood product, we’ve been continually creating better products to fit the changing needs of the building industry.
LP’s values-driven, positive culture creates an environment where talented and hardworking people thrive in a safe, ethical, fun, challenging and rewarding place to work. For more than 40 years, we’ve developed careers and provided advancement opportunities in the building products industry.
Perform engineering work related to planning, devising or adapting methods to improve manufacturing production. Examine equipment, processes, operations and makes improvement recommendations that are aligned with predetermined objectives. Under direct supervision, coordinate installation and/or construction activities related to capital and technical projects in a plant setting.
- Manage a capital program consisting of approximately 10 projects, valued up to $1 million across a single facility.
- Plan and execute all aspects of capital projects or technology programs up to $500 thousand in size including basic data gathering, engineering evaluation, scope-or-work development, preliminary design, cost estimation, financial analysis, detailed design, contract negotiation and detailed scheduling.
- Assist with maintenance initiatives such as preventative / predictive system, chronic failure resolution or EOM project implementation.
- Provide input to businesses and functions for the development of their strategic and operating plans.
- Provide engineering/technical advice to co-workers in all businesses and functions
- Develop budget and manage performance against it for projects/programs managed.
- Conduct training for engineering and other personnel in the areas of Engineering and Manufacturing
- Participate as a team member in leading business process improvement within the company.
- Assume responsibility for personal safety and for the safety performance of all personnel, projects and programs managed.
- Maintain Engineering records according to corporate Records Retention Guidelines.
- Work closely with other Corporate Functions including Supply Management, Audit, Financial Services, Environmental Services and Information Technology to assure conformance with corporate policy
- Conduct special projects/studies, as opportunities arise, relating to technology and capital effectiveness
- Perform other duties as necessary.
Skills, knowledge, abilities:
- Familiarity with Life-Cycle planning and long-term capitalization techniques for manufacturing facilities.
- The ability to manage engineering projects/programs up to $500 thousand in size
- Familiarity with world-class manufacturing techniques, including Just-In-Time, Lean Manufacturing, and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing.
- Familiarity with building products industry, equipment, and processes.
- The ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering to a variety of complex business problems
- The ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data.
- The ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs.
- The ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams.
- The ability to identify, formulate and solve engineering problems.
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
- The ability to communicate effectively – both verbal and written.
- The broad education and experience necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global and societal context
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- The ability to use the techniques, skills and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice
- BS in Engineering, Applied Science, or related field.
- Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) certification desirabl
- Zero to 5 years experience as a practicing professional in one or more of the following fields; engineering, capital project management, manufacturing, business process development or auditing.
- Or any combination of experience and training that demonstrates the ability to perform the key responsibilities of this position.
- This position works in both an office environment and in a manufacturing environment.
- Light to moderate travel requiring a flexible schedule is required.
LP offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits and programs including health and welfare benefits, career mobility, tuition reimbursement, volunteer opportunities, profit sharing and more.