LP Building Products is a Fortune 1000 leading global manufacturer of engineered wood products located in the heart of downtown Nashville. At LP, creating new solutions for building is who we are. Since we pioneered our first engineered wood product, we’ve been continually creating better products to fit the changing needs of the building industry.
LP’s values-driven, positive culture creates an environment where talented and hardworking people thrive in a safe, ethical, fun, challenging and rewarding place to work. For more than 40 years, we’ve developed careers and provided advancement opportunities in the building products industry.
Forecast, and coordinate operational forestry activities (planning, logging, truck hauling, road construction, road maintenance, road deactivation, silviculture and waste / residue surveys). Lead, plan and manage the resources activities on forest tenures associated with the site.
- Ensures safety, quality, environmental and provincial and federal legislation compliance in all forestry operations
- Budget forecasting and management.
- Manage annual budget up to $50 million
- Oversee annual harvest of up to 1 million m3 with major harvesting and road construction contractors
- Negotiate and administrate contracts with outside vendors for logging, trucking, road building, development planning and silviculture (site preparation, planting).
- Manage the forest licenses
- Procure wood for internal and external customers and coordinate log sales and log trading
- Accountable for the silviculture as per government regulation
- Provide market analysis, timber valuation and, contracts.
- Manage the planning ( annual, 5 year and long term) of the harvesting and forest management on crown lands
- Monitor status of the planning, harvesting, silviculture and log yard inventory.
- Participate in the consultation process (FN and other stakeholders) and negotiate with the stakeholders
- Lead the development of new systems & processes through continuous improvement initiatives
- Oversee the Environmental management system
- Lead the strategic planning of raw material for the plant
- Participate to the business team to ensure alignment with the business objectives
- Hire, train, and manage performance of staff, people’s development and succession planning.
- Manage bidding on government timber sales
- Work with DNR, Environment, DFO and other government departments on long term planning, and shorter term operations
- Protect LP’s reputation by managing issues on public land (Social contact concept)
- Represent LP through outside groups provincial, regional and municipal Gov’t, SFI, Industry BMP’s, etc.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of target markets and trends.
- Knowledge of government rules and policies and their application
- Certification in FEC, Road building, GIS, first aid, firefighting, scaler etc. as required in area
- In-depth knowledge of forest management techniques and logging principles.
- Knowledge of company products, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge of current supervisory and management techniques.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated supervisory skills.
- Ability to operate a computer and supporting software.
- Short and long term strategy and planning skills
- Ability to quickly recognize and adapt to changing plans, schedules, rule changes or government or eNGO actions.
- Ability to perform lower job functions on sites with smaller complement of staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in Forestry or related field.
- 3 years supervisory experience.
- 7 years forestry experience.
- Or any equivalent combination of education and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the key responsibilities of this position.
- Outdoor environment subject to elements of nature.
- Frequent travel required.
LP offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits and programs including health and welfare benefits, career mobility, tuition reimbursement, volunteer opportunities, profit sharing and more.